was craving a burger but also craving breakfast foods, so why not combine them both! Today we’re making my take on a breakfast burger that’s inspired by Wendy’s Breakfast Baconator. This is my new favorite way to eat breakfast sausage, it’s so good. Let’s make it!
How much are we making?
Cheddar Cheese Slices
Ground Cayenne (Optional)
- Cook the Sausage and Bacon
- Form the sausage into 4 patties.
- Put a medium to large sized skillet over medium heat and add the bacon and sausage patties to it.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Remove the bacon once thoroughly browned all over. Once the sausage patty’s juices are clear and it has firmed up to the touch, you can remove it from the pan as well.
- Pour off the rendered fat in the pan into a small bowl. We’re going to use this for our gravy!
- Make the Gravy
- Put a sauce pan over medium heat and add 4-5 tablespoons of the saved grease from earlier to it.
- Now add the flour and whisk vigorously. Cook this for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Now add the milk and stir it well. Continue cooking this for a few minutes or until the mixture thickens to a gravy consistency. Once the desired thickness is achieved, add the salt, pepper, and cayenne(if using) and remove the gravy from the heat.
- Final Cooking Steps
- Add our cooked sausage patties to a medium sized skillet. You can use the one from before that we cooked the sausage in originally, make sure to wipe out any remaining browned bits of sausage and bacon from the pan first though.
- Add a slice of the cheddar cheese to the top of the sausage patties and add a splash of water to the hot pan then top it with a lid. This will melt our cheese way faster. When it’s thoroughly melted, remove the patties from the heat.
- Add a half tablespoon of butter to the pan (you might need more if you are browning all 4 buns at once). Now add our buns to the melted butter. Cook on this one side for 3-4 minutes or until well browned and toasted.
- Add the remaining half tablespoon of butter (you might need more if you’re cooking 4 eggs at once) and crack the eggs into the hot butter.
- Fry the eggs for a couple minutes until most of the egg whites on the bottom have solidified. Now sprinkle a little salt, black pepper, and cayenne (if using) over the top of the eggs.
- Add another splash of water to the pan and top the pan with a lid. This will help cook the top of our egg whites faster without overcooking the bottom of our eggs.
- Once most of the whites have cooked, remove the egg from the pan.
- Assemble the Burgers
- Take one of our browned buns and add gravy to the bottom bun. Now add the 2 slices of bacon on top of this.
- Add our sausage pattie to the top of this bacon. Then add another 2 pieces of bacon on top of the patty.
- Drizzle some more gravy on top of the bacon then carefully add our egg on top. Top it all off the top bun and enjoy!
UP YOUR ALLEY