ahalo my dudes. Today we’re gonna ride the flavor wave into Hawaii to make their famous Spam Musubi. I’ve always wanted to try it and making it home is a lot cheaper than flying to the Big Island. But we’re not just make it the traditional way. What kind of big boys would be if we did that? We’re going to use fried rice instead of the traditional sushi rice. Oh it’s gonna be a Cardiologist’s nightmare. Let’s make it.
How much are we making?
Cooked White Rice (Refrigerated)
Red pepper flakes
Salt to Taste
- Prep ingredients
- Chop up onion and mince garlic.
- Open can of spam and slice up into 8 pieces.
- Wash out spam can with hot water and soap. Put a piece of plastic wrap inside the cleaned can
- Mix together soy sauce, mirin, and sugar in a small bowl. Then microwave the mixture for 30 seconds. Once done, remove it from the microwave and set it aside.
- Stack nori sheets on top of each other and slice into thirds. Ending up with 9 strips.
- Make Fried Rice
- Heat up large sized non stick saute pan over medium heat and add the 3 tablespoons of oil (I used bacon grease).
- Add onion to pan and saute until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and chili flakes and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Crack eggs into pan and stir around until eggs are mostly set.
- Now add the rice to the pan. Stir it well to incorporate all of the eggs and onions in and continue cooking for 5 or so minutes until rice looks glossy and crisp.
- Add soy sauce a little at a time trying to evenly spread it all around the pan. Stir well and cook for another couple minutes.
- Add a big pinch of salt then stir well. Remove from the heat.
- Make the “Teriyaki” Spam
- Put a medium sized non-stick saute pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and add the spam slices. Fry for 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip over and repeat until it’s decently browned.
- Add soy sauce mixture and spoon over the top of the slices and saute for another minute or two on both sides until the sauce thickens up to a glossy glaze.
- Remove from the heat and allow the spam to cool down. Believe me you don’t want to touch it when it’s still hot.
- Making the Musubi
- Put small piece of plastic wrap in spam can. Pack a 1/4 cup of the fried rice into the bottom of the can. Pack it well. A square spice jar works perfectly!
- Put a piece of spam on top and pull the out plastic wrap and tighten the spam and rice.
- Now carefully remove the plastic wrapped goodness. Carefully unwrap the spam and rice on top of a cutting board with the plastic wrap on the bottom (on top of the cutting board)
- Grab a piece of nori and wrap it around the fried rice and spam and squeeze it. Then pick up the whole conconction (plastic wrap included) and flip the the entire thing over.
- Remove the plastic wrap and wrap nori around the spam and rice wetting the seams of the nori with plenty of water.
- Assemble the rest of the sushi, and enjoy!
UP YOUR ALLEY