ustle up the chuck wagons and gather round for the best Texas Red Chili that you’ve ever had. This ain’t your average tailgating chili. This chili takes a little more time but the result is so worth it. Yeehaaaaaaaw!
How much are we making?
New Mexico Chiles
Better Than Chicken Bouillon
2 Teaspoons Dried
Chipotles in Adobo
2 Chilies from 1 Can
Fish Sauce (Optional)
Masa Harina (Optional)
Shredded Cheese (Optional)
- Prepare Chiles and Aromatics!
- Remove stems and seeds from the new mexico, ancho, and arbol chiles.
- Microwave for 45 seconds, flipping them over every 15 seconds.
- Put the now fragrant chiles in a bowl and cover with 3 cups of boiling water. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Brown Beef!
- Slice chuck roast into about 4 big pieces.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Put the Instant Pot into saute mode and let it heat for a few minutes.
- When Instant Pot is hot, add oil and half of the beef to the heated pot. Brown well on all sides and set aside when done. Should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Place the rest of the beef in the Instant Pot and brown well on all sides. Set aside when done.
- Slice browned beef into 1.5-2 inche cubes.
- Prepare Chile Puree!
- After browning all of the beef, add onion and scrape all the wonderful brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to scrape any remaining brown bits. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, cumin, and oregano to the pan and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chili peppers we rehydrated earlier along with all of the water they soaked in to the pot.
- Add canned chipotle peppers along with a tablespoon or so of the sauce from the can.
- Add chicken bouillon and bring to a simmer.
- Remove and heat and turn off Instant Pot.
- Pour the simmering sauce into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pressure Cooking Time!
- Turn the Instant Pot back on saute mode and add the pureed chile sauce along with the cubed beef to it.
- Once the sauce reaches a simmer, put the lid on and switch the Instant over to manual high pressure mode and set the timer for 42 minutes.
- Seasoning and Eating!
- Once the timer is up, turn the instant pot off and release the pressure. Remove the lid and stir.
- Turn instant pot back on saute mode and stir in the masa harina. Break up any large chunks of masa harina. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken up a little. You can shred some of the beef up against the side of the pot to help thicken it more.
- After the sauce is thickened to your liking: add the fish sauce(if using), vinegar, and salt to taste.
- Serve up a bowl and enjoy!
UP YOUR ALLEY